Pages

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Recall: but not defective!

Recently I posted about Millie returning for recall on my Facebook page. Many of my friends, unfamiliar with GDB terminology, immediately responded, asking what was wrong, and just what kind of a recall affects a dog anyway....

I had to laugh as I corrected everyone on my wording, but it did make me think. Usually we here the word recall in other aspects of life, and it is always something defective, or bad. Like my Mom's Prius floor mats which had a recall this past week.

But with the guide dog pups, it is something good! It means you have done what you are supposed to do, done all you can to prepare them for college (formal training), and are now ready to say good bye. Well, maybe no one is ever READY to say good bye, but we know it is coming and can now look forward to watching our pups progress through formal training and whatever career they choose to undertake.

Millie will be my first dog to actually return for formal training. I did have to say goodbye to Sterling, but knowing he had chosen the pampered pet life. I just found out today that Millie's recall date is now the 21st of this month, instead of the 31st. That leaves me with just under two weeks to pack in final outings, lots of play and snuggle time, and lots and lots of pictures.


4 comments:

Megan and Orleans said...

Umm. . . did the puppy truck date change?!?!? I haven't heard from my leader yet today. Yikes, that's a week less than we expected. Better get started on the project record. Good luck to Millie! I love explaining GDB terms when I am talking with my friends. I usually slip out some lingo when I am talking to them and they get horribly confused. :D And I love all the pictures from your last post. Do you mind if I steal some of them?

Sarah and the Pack. said...

Yes, it changed. Looks like 2 different trucks: one for Utah and one for CO. The CO dates are the same. Puppies may or may not come on the UT truck, otherwise they would come on the CO truck.

Feel free to take them! If you want to email me and let me know which ones you want I can email a large file to you.

Good luck with Fuller, and give Paris a hug for

Taelor, Pilaf, and Cartier said...

Oh the lingo puppy people use... I just laugh when I see some of the reactions from my freinds when I try to explain things to them...

Good luck to Millie! I am sure she will be amazing IFT. =D

Erin said...

Haha and their recall where we want the dog to come back to us! How funny I would have never thought about it like that!!

Anyway good luck to Millie!!